The letter F is for the First Two Pages (of your manuscript).
First, she offered a Workshop Class on how to make your first two pages really stand out from the slush. Here are my notes:
As soon as possible:
1. Establish your character and voice
2. Establish the conflict and move the story forward
3. Establish the tone
4. Establish an indication of setting
5. Catch the reader off guard - to grab them and keep them reading
Goals of first two pages:
1. Create interest in the character and the plot
2. Create intrigue
3. Create investment
Anticipate the pauses when someone is reading and make these your paragraph breaks.
Then she read many pages from participants and critiqued them. Imagine American Idol. (But Suzie is SUPER NICE, unlike Simon.) That was very productive.
What tips do you have for making the first two pages fantastic?